Monday, April 11, 2011

Mo'orea

This was the last island of our beautiful vacation. And lucky for us we got to spend 2 days there. It was one of my favorite places! It was a lot different than the other islands. There was the beautiful water and skies. But we also saw a lot of pine trees as well as palm trees, it was amazing.
The first day we were there we rented these little dune buggy like cars. They were so much fun!! Probably the most fun thing we did on the trip. We could really go anywhere in them. We drove on regular roads as well as plenty of off roading (some of it unintentional).
We drove up to this amazing look out where you could see both bays of the island. On the way we got a little lost. Let's just say the French Polynesian idea of maps is less than helpful. We ended up driving on this crazy road that went through some guys pineapple field. He was less than happy when we encountered him and asked how to get out. Then we had to traverse a couple of little streams to make it out of the field and on the right road again. It was a little crazy, but very memorable.

We spent the rest of the day just cruising around the island. We stopped all the time to take pictures and relax. We tried to find a waterfall that was on the map. But as I mentioned before the maps were not good. Some guy even showed us the road to drive up, but we ended up off roading up some mountain in the middle of now where. It was beautiful, but no waterfall. But is didn't matter because we had an awesome time cruising around.
The second day we took a Lagoon tour and snorkeling "safari". I loved being able to drive around the island in a boat. It was a whole different perspective. And our tour guide was really great. He showed us lots of interesting things.
This is a shark!!
The first spot we stopped to snorkel, the guide told us we would be swimming with the rays. I thought I could do that, since I had done it before. Well, after I had been in the water about five minutes I saw sharks coming. I was out of the water so fast!! Scot was brave. He stayed in with the sharks. I stayed on the boat and took pictures. I liked that better.
Then we went to a private beach where we snorkeled with just fish. Much better. We saw amazing fish. I really loved snorkeling!
And then it was back to the ship and we left for Tahiti to catch our flight home. And of course ended our trip with this amazing sunset. Oh how I miss the warm weather!

3 comments:

kecia said...

that water is amazing! looks soo fun!

Becca B said...

Oooh! I love the mountain wreathed in mist. And the cliffs. Cool.

Bruce and Nancy Woodbury said...

Incredible pictures of your Tahiti trip! What an amazing, memorable trip that was! I'm so glad you were able to go.