Sunday, September 5, 2010

Emma's 10th birthday

On Emma's actual birthday we had family over for a party and dinner. We are so lucky to have such great, supportive family. They always make our kids feel so special for coming to celebrate with them. I just had to include this picture for 2 reasons. One: it is so cute. Even though my dad is grouchy with the grandkids sometimes because they do make a lot of messes. They love him tons, and he love them tons too. Two: Spencer was so excited to see him, and wanted to sit with Grandpa. That is a big step for him!
Now on to the party...
We had Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner at Emma's request. We also had great salads, and fruit that others were so great to help out with. Not that Emma ate them, but the rest of us enjoyed them. As is always the case with me, I made way too much food and there is still a ton of it in my freezer!
We had a great time eating and visiting and then it was time for dessert.

Emma requested an ice cream cake. But I didn't want to buy one because I had already spent so much money on her party. So I figured out a way to make one myself. And it only cost my about $5 to make. And I didn't have any, but from what I heard it was yummy. (Hopefully people weren't just trying not to hurt my feelings, and it really was good:) )
For the most part, I have pretty much dealt with all my conflicting and sad emotions about Emma turning 10, but when I put 10 candles on that cake, it kind of made me tear up again. Sure enough she turned 10 and there was nothing I could do about it.
We have such great family, and they always think of such thoughtful gifts for Emma. Everything she got was so perfect for her. But the highlight of her night was when we gave her, her very own lime green Ipod. She has been begging for one for months, and finally I decided that we could do it. But I kept telling her I thought she wasn't old enough and maybe when she was older. Then Ben and I wrapped it in lots of layers of boxes and bags. So she had no idea what Scot and I were giving her. She was very surprised, and loves it. It was all worth it to see the look on her face!
So as much as I was dreading this day, it happened anyway. Emma is 10. There is no turning back. As sad as I am to leave the little girl behind, I am excited for the lovely young lady she is becoming. She is the first one to do her chores each week, and she rarely complains. She is actually starting to try a larger variety of foods, and to like them. She is a lot of fun to talk to, because she always has something to say, and funny stories to tell. Even though I have to tune her out sometimes for sanity purposes. She wants to pick out all her own clothes. Apparently I have no fashion sense. And she is becoming a great help with her siblings.
We love you Emma! Happy Birthday Peanut!

No comments: