Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Makes you think...

Right before Christmas I had a crazy but amazing experience. The night before we left for Disneyland I was feeling pretty good about being ready for Christmas and for our trip. While I was working on something I watched the evening news. There was a story about how the angel trees had not had enough donations, and that there were a lot of people who wouldn't be able to be helped. The story really touched me, I couldn't stop thinking about it, I rewound the story several times to get all the info I could about it. Then I started working on something else and tried not to think about it. Afterall I was leaving the next day, I did not have time to do anything, and I had already donated to several different sub for santas. The thought just wouldn't leave. The whole night I just couldn't stop thinking about it. I talked to Scot, we had just a little bit of money left in the Christmas budget. I knew I had to do something. I watched the story again at the ten o clock news. They said they really needed underwear, coats, shoes, socks and toys. I wrote everything down, really wondering how I was going to pull this off. Did I have enough time, could I even get very much for the money I had? What should I even buy, sizes, boy or girl? I had no idea what I was going to do. I just knew I had to do something. That night I had a dream about a little boy about 4 or 5 years old. I knew he was the one I was supposed to help. As soon as I got my older kids off to school the next morning I headed to the store. I looked for things that I thought would be great for a 4 or 5 year old. I was amazed! I was able to get shoes, a coat, underwear, socks, an outfit, and a nice toy all for the small amount of money I had. Everything that I needed was on sale. At one point I was trying to find underwear and I couldn't find the right size. I started to doubt my impressions. Then I had a thought to try another section of the store and there they were in just the right size. I took my purchases to the Salvation Army where they were trying to fill the needs. And that was it. I don't know what happened after that. I would like to think that they opened up the bag and knew just who it should be for, but I will never know. But regardless of what happened next, it was a miracle to me. I know that for whatever reason I was supposed to have this experience and I am very grateful for it. And I was still able to get everything ready to leave for our trip. Miracles do still happen I am grateful for this one in my life.

5 comments:

DeDee said...

Perfect...thanks for sharing! With all you had to do, that is a little miracle!

Michelle said...

I'm sure you helped someone who needed it! :)

Becca B said...

Thank you for sharing this, Kirsten.

kecia said...

love this story! I really believe there are miracles happening all around in this small and simple things! Good for you for actually following through with your impression...that is a good reminder to all of us! I am sure some little one was very happy because of your generosity.

Recksieks said...

That is such a great story! Thanks so much for sharing!