Sunday, September 2, 2007

Taking kids to church, or anywhere for that matter

Another Sunday, another adventure. Sometimes I wonder if I am actually getting anything out of being at church. Usually you have the regular distractions...Lucy wanting to eat or crying during class, lots of crayons and puzzles during Sacrament, and chaos trying to get everyone to class. Well we had those all right, but Emma topped them all today!
About half way through Sunday School, Emma comes to the door with her teacher. I am thinking, what on earth is going on, she certainly doesn't need a diaper change. Then she bursts into tears. Her teacher explains to me that she did a sommersalt off her chair. "But Mom it's not my fault" she says. Right! We all just sommersalt off ours chairs when we are just innocently sitting there listening to the lesson. So true to her form she asks me what we can do to make it better. I checked it out, she didn't even have a bump, although there was a rather wet spot on the back of her head. (I later learned that this was from the wet paper towel she put on her head to try to make it feel better.) Finally I convinced her that there was nothing I could do and she went back to class.
Ten minutes later she was back, again in tears. She tells me she needs to go home and lay down on a very soft pillow and read a book. The pillow will help her head, and the book will take her mind off the pain. (Perhaps listening to her lesson might have the same effect.) I finally convinced her that her head will never get better if she doesn't go back t0 class and learn what Heavenly Father wants her too. After church she begged me for medicine for her head so she could live. Miraculously enough when I distracted her for a little while she didn't mention it again. And when Uncle Jon got out his camera, it was an absolutely amazing recovery.

1 comment:

beckee said...

Oh...taking kids to church every week is my nemesis! It is so hard! Especially the weeks when my husband is on-call in the hospital and I am alone with 3 kids...I feel your pain!